🔎

• 4

• 1003

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Besides the butter, can you discern anything else that you may have changed: are you cutting the cookies thicker? is your oven maintaining a consistent temp? You could try chilling the sliced cookies before baking them to see if that helps

fhp added over 1 year ago

Ill give that a shot. Ive been pretty careful about keeping these little babies chilled. Do you think I should 'Blend" by hand when incorporating the dry ingredients with the wet ones? I think it might have something to do with the butter. The first time it was an Irish butter and it seemed fattier. I think I will also buy some new baking powder although mine shouldn't be that old. Im also going to try rolling the "log" to a larger diameter.

Monita_photo

I don't think the butter should make a difference. Most people will use a regular butter, not an Irish butter, so that should affect the outcome and I don't think creaming by hand should change anything. Making sure your ingredients are all fresh is a good step.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

Are you using "better" butter, maybe European or more expensive "premium" butter this time? Water content can range and "better" butter typically has less water and more butterfat. That could make a difference.
Oops just read your second comment, yes I do think it's the Irish butter. Also I think keeping them chilled will prevent spreading and therefore getting thinner. Maybe try a few that you slice and let sit at room temp for 8-10 minutes; bake those and see if they get to the thinness you like.