What is raspberry pulp? Do I make it at home or buy it? Thank you

asked by KKool over 1 year ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

What is the recipe you're following? The term is a little odd, but I'd imagine that refers to just a raspberry puree (which frozen raspberries would be great for).

To add to Kenzi's comment, assuming you'll puree the raspberries in a food processor or blender, a nice thing is to remove the seeds. After pureeing, pour raspberries into a wire mesh strainer over a bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape the puree through the mesh, which will separate the seeds from the puree. (Do it slowly, it will take a little while.) Depending on how much you're making, you may need to rinse the strainer if it gets clogged.

P1291120

Fruit pulp is typically the leftover -- well, pulp -- after juice has been extracted (say to make jelly). It is different and dryer than a puree or other full fruit blended product. If the fruit is a berry, it also typically includes the seeds.

I made a fair amount of jelly, so have quite a bit of pulp that needs a good use. KKook -- I'm very curious how the pulp is intended to be used? Do you have a recipe?

Sea-Jambon, I am trying to make a chocolate ganache but instead of cream use a raspberry pulp- a suggestion for a filling for chocolate pralines...

Baci1

I'm worried that the raspberry puree is going to make the chocolate seize.

P1291120

KKool - in that case, I don't think it is the type of "pulp" I described, and would go with a strained puree like Pegeen suggested. The pulp I described is very dry, so I don't see it as a good replacement for cream -- but a thick juice (like a strained puree) would seem a better choice. Good luck!! Raspberry and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations! Let us know if it works. :)