What kind of potato is best for chowder?

asked by Pepperjam over 1 year ago
Merrill

I prefer a waxy potato like Yukon Gold. They don't break down as easily as baking potatoes, which can give the chowder a grainy texture.

Waffle3

Define "best". Typically waxy potatoes are used for the purpose because they hold up better over time. However, if I have control over how long the soup will be cooked, my clear preference is Russet for their depth of flavor.

Yukons, braise in clam juice. For chowder that tastes like the seafood that's actually in it... Use whole organic milk (like Straus) no roux, no cream. Smoke your own salmon instead of bacon. Splash of Marsala, hint of Straus butter. Slide in oysters and their liquor at the last minute. Top with chopped scallions and oyster crackers.

Imag0055

From the land of frugal Maine chowder makers (and potato growers)----use whatever potato you have on hand. So-called boiling potatoes grow well here: Yukons, Kennebecs, Katahdins, Green Mountains, etc. So that's what we use. An Idahoan would no doubt advocate for the russet . . .

Farmer's_market

I also use a waxy potato (yukon golds or whatnot.) If I'm making a chowder, typically it's enough for more than one meal - and they also hold up best to reheating, without disintegrating into the soup. (My FIL was a Boston boy, stranded in the Midwest - loved a good 'chowdah.' When he visited, leftover chowder was essential.)

I like red-skinned potatoes - not quite as waxy as Yukon golds, but less mealy/dry than russets. But, as a born and bred North Dakotan - I like red potatoes for everything! Lol.

036

I am a fan of red skinned potatoes as well, they hold up to simmering and look nice too (I always keep the skins n)