What can I sub for creme fraiche?

asked by abbe over 1 year ago

How are you using it? Sour cream would probably be fine, a whole-milk yougurt, especially a Greek yogurt, might work.

Per Maedl, sour cream would be the best substitution. Creme fraiche is basically sour cream French style.

French style = higher fat! No wonder it’s so good. Creme fraiche usually has 35% fat and sour cream about 18%. Both are fermented, and sensible quantities, a taste of heaven. When I was growing up, I loved sour cream sprinkled with a bit of sugar. My Mom eventually tried to sub cottage cheese, but I was not to be fooled.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Maedl, have you ever had bananas & sour cream mixed with sugar? I grew up on that as a kid for breakfast.

2007-09-11e-s4

If you have 12-24 hours, make your own.
Version #1: in a small mixing bowl, combine 1 cup heavy cream and 2 Tablespoons of sour cream. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
Version #2: In a small saucepan, combine 2 Tablespoons buttermilk and 2 cups heavy cream. Warm to no more than 85°F. Pour into a clean glass jar. Partially cover and let stand at room temperature (between 65 and 75 degrees) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened. Stir and refrigerate at least 24 hours before using. The cream will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Both of those methods make a really good crème fraîche

The one drawback to subbing sour cream is that it cannot really be heated, so whether to substitute depends on your recipe.