What shall I cook with these goat chops?

Seeking a relatively simple tasting recipe for goat chops, that won't turn out tough. I'm cooking for a 90-something year old fellow who likes goat a lot but is your standard meat and potato kind of guy. I was wondering if there is a good recipe for mutton chops that I could convert. The goat was still young, so the meat should be relatively tender.

asked by trampledbygeese over 1 year ago
Merrill

I'd marinate them in olive oil, lemon zest and thyme and then sauté them in a little butter. If the goat is really tender, you should be able to serve the chops medium rare.

Bigpan

Goat is a natural for a Moroccan tagine. You can cut down the spices a bit for your guest although tagine is not "hot". Use potato in it with some onion and carrot and you are done.
Use low salt chicken stock to the desired viscosity of sauce.
If you do not have a tagine cooker, a Dutch oven or any pot and lid works fine.
This is a dish you can cook for a few hours as the meat will only get softer...add the potatoes for the last half hour or so so they don't turn to mush.

Fsm

What a good excuse to use my tagine. Do I need to marinade the goat chops first? Are there any spices you can recommend that would give it that 'traditional' English taste?

Fsm

Hope you don't mind if I bump this question up. I have a lot of goat chops in the freezer and I would love some more ideas on how to cook them. It's the one cut of meat I can never get quite right, no matter what animal it comes from.

036

I wpould consider a curry - whenever we are anywhere near the islands I head straight for goat curry - typically an island version will be yellow curry plus thyme and allspice, coconut and carrots, onion and potatoes - you could brown the chops and simmer everything low and slow with a luittle chicken broth. If you use a mild curry powder you will end up with tender meat and veggies in a creamy sauce that should please young and old goat lovers alike.

036

TYPOS! And I mean the people are young and old, not the goat :-)

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet