Our grocery has shucked oysters reduced from $7.99 (per 8 oz container) to 99 cents. Can they be frozen or use them right away?

asked by Louisa over 1 year ago
Buddhacat

My recommendation is to ask the fish guy at your grocery store. They could have already been frozen so refreezing is a bad idea. I would also be concerned about their age - they deteriorate quickly and given the low price don't know how much time you have to use them.

Img__631-1_(1)

Are they pasterized in the container? If so they shouldn't have been frozen and they can be and I often do right in the can they come in.

They can be frozen for use in stuffing and fried or baked oysters.

I've used them for Oysters Rockefeller before, but I have a couple of dozen oyster shells from fresh oysters.
So, if you get fresh oyster shells. Scrub, boil, bleach,Sit them out the sun and repeat until the shells are clean.
Then you can use the pre-shucked ones for grilled or baked oysters in those shells.

OK, I'm looking at the label and it says " Wild Caught Shellfish" "Perishable." and
"sell by 12/31/12." Oyster stew tomorrow?

Ooof. Gotta say that shellfish is one thing I wouldn't buy (or eat) at the end of its expiration date...

Oyster soup
6 doz. freshly shucked oysters w/1 qt. oyster liq.
1 c. melted butter
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped celery
½ c. chopped bell pepper
1?3 c. diced garlic
1 (10 oz.) box cooked frozen spinach (thawed)
½ c. finely diced andouille sausage
1 c. flour
1 ½ qt. chicken stock
1 pt. heavy whipping cream
½ c. sliced green onions
½ c. chopped parsley
Salt, white, black and red pepper to taste
½ oz. Pernod or Herb Saint Liqueur and have one for yourself!
In 2 gal. stock pot, saute onions, celery, bell pepper & garlic in butter over med. high heat 3-5 min. or until wilted. Add spinach & andouille. Using metal spoon, chop spinach into veggie mixture until well incorporated. Sprinkle in flour, blending well. Stir constantly. Add chicken stock & oyster liquid 1 ladle at a time, until well blended. Bring to low boil, reduce to simmer & cook 30 mins. Add whipping cream, oysters, green onions & parsley. Cook until edges
of oysters begin to curl. Season to taste. Stir in Pernod or Herb Saint.

Bigpan

Yes, they can be frozen in their own juice, but good to know if they are previously frozen. In that case I would toss out the 99 cents worth and stay out of the bathroom.

Thanks everyone. The oyster stew recipe sounded great, but I didn't have all the ingredients, so will make it next time. I ended up making scalloped oysters (crushed saltines, oysters, cream, butter), and we ate them all. Happy New Year!

Hope you are still with us tomorrow Louisa. A "manager's special" for 99cent oysters is like going for half price, day old sushi. And Happy New Year to you too.