🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Kumquats

I have some kumquats in syrup that I bought recently in Corfu, Greece. I intend to make a kumquat sauce (some orange juice, chicken stock) and the kumquats. Reduce and serve over scored-seared-roasted duck breast.
Should I or should I not remove the seeds from the kumquats? I understand they can be a bit bitter, but are balanced by the sweet skin and syrup.
Any other thoughts if you have used Corfu kumquats packed in syrup is appreciated.

asked by bigpan almost 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

If the kumquats are already cooked I syrup then whatever bitterness was in the seeds has probably already been released into the syrup. I would taste one to be safe but I think you're ok leaving the seeds in.

Bigpan

Thanks Amanda. I sliced them on a bias and removed the seed (which did not taste bitter by itself). After searing the duck I deglazed with some rose', added some OJ and chicken stock, reduced and added the kumquats and its syrup. Turned out great...not too sweet, just right.
With a beluga starter on bilini, it was a perfect night.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Nice! And thanks for reporting back.

Smokin_tokyo

I have pickled the Kumquats that I bought at the store ( lovely shapes, all the same size) and I also cook with the homegrown ones from my yard. I remove the seeds for baking goods (chopped) but in a stew, etc. I leave the seeds in. You may remove them when eating, but they are so soft (think grapeseed oil) that it doesn't seem to matter.