🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Michael Ruhlman's Rosemary-Brined, Buttermilk Fried Chicken

I have a question about the recipe "Michael Ruhlman's Rosemary-Brined, Buttermilk Fried Chicken" from Genius Recipes. If I cannot get fresh rosemary, is it possible to substitute dried rosemary leaves? If so, please describe how....

asked by Patti Cake almost 3 years ago

Yes you can sub fresh for dried. The equivalency is 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary = 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

but patti cake asked if she could sub DRIED FOR FRESH.
yeah, semantics, but when you substitute one ingredient for another, the substitute is NOT included in the recipe!
so, if the recipe calls for fresh garlic and i have none, then i SUBSTITUTE garlic powder FOR the fresh garlic in the recipe!
your statement of subbing "fresh for dried" is backwards and makes it confusing.

I did use dried rosemary for mine. I used 2-3 tablespoons and did let the chicken sit for almost 24 hours. The flavor was really great.

Yes, you can substitute dried. Dried herbs are always a lot stronger than fresh, so cookbooks will always tell you to use less of the dried herb. So if the recipe asks you to use fresh herbs, use only 1/3 of the amount of dried herb. Here's a great conversion chart: http://www.healwithfood...