🔔
🔎

How can I get a smoky, rich molasses taste in my chili & avoid over-sweetening it? Adding tomatoes & cayenne isn't helping..

asked by @K_Stokes_Smith almost 2 years ago
Waffle3

Some options for smoke: Liquid smoke, some types of dried chilies, smoked paprika.

Molasses is available in different grades with different sugar contents. Try one labeled "Robust" or "Full Flavor".

Blondavatar_-_copy_(493x800)_(62x100)

Thank you! I've been using Fancy molasses -- the sweetest of them all. :P Going to the store NOW to pick up something with less sugar content. Will start with this change and go from there..

Blondavatar_-_copy_(493x800)_(62x100)

Thank you! Another excellent idea -- can't wait to try it.

Dsc_0048b

I go with drbabs and the chipotle chiles! In my chili I balance them with a little cocoa powder and a little Vermont maple sugar.

Dsc_0048b

036

I also add dark beer to my chili which adds richness without sweetness - you can thicken it with a corn masa paste rather than tomato paste - which adds a great flavor and less sweetness. And yes - along with everyone else - chilis, chili powder, unsweetened cocoa

Dsc_0048b

Actually, I should have said that I use a chipotle chile in adobo sauce and some of the sauce - I think the sauce adds to the smokiness!

Blondavatar_-_copy_(493x800)_(62x100)

Reporting that the ROBUST molasses made a big difference. After tasting it, my mom suggested a longer, slower cooking time -- she cooks hers for up to 8 hours and it's amazing. Thank you everyone for your insights -- looking forward to trying everything out!