🔎

• 3

• 654

defrosting whole tomatoes

I re-read Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle over the summer and decided to buy several pounds of tomatoes from my farmer's market in August. I made sauce and froze it (success! I love local tomato flavor in the winter) and also froze several whole tomatoes to use in various dishes until tomato season commences. How do I defrost for use? I tried one and ended up with a leaky, slumped, impossible-to-cut tomato. Thanks for suggestions!

036

Voted the Best Answer!

I have done the same thing I and had the same issue - but I am not sure there is a good solution - once the tomatoes are frozen the cell walls are broken down by ice crystals and so it loses it's structure. I use my frozen ones in soups and sauces and the like, where a slumpy tomato is a good thing.

lowden added over 1 year ago

Because of high water content in tomatoes, the freezing destroyed the structure of the tomato. It is now only good for sauces or soups.

jilhil added over 1 year ago

If you want the skins off before you add them to your soup, stew, sauce, chili, etc. put the frozen tomatoes in a colander and pour boiling water over them to loosen the skins.