🔔
🔎

I bought a bottle of dry vermouth to use in a chicken recipe. How long will it last in my fridge? Any other recipes it would be good in?

asked by rldougherty almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

It will last 3-6 months in the fridge. You can use it with any recipe that you might use a dry white wine

P1291120

I've heard lots of opinions on this and the bottom line seems to really depend on dry vs sweet vermouth (dry, like yours, has a shorter life once opened), storage methods (fridge or not; vacuvin or similar used or not) and finally -- what you want to use it for. As a fortified wine, it becomes a "lesser" grade with time, so could still be used for cooking with good results for probably as long as a year; however, for a fabulous martini (or even just vermouth on the rocks), you will want a freshly opened bottle -- something that has been open (and fridge stored) less than a month.

I think Julia Child was the first I knew to recommend using dry vermouth as a substitute for white wine in recipes...maybe in the early '70's when I first watched her show on PBS. I've been doing it ever since with usually great results.

Stringio

Thanks! I am not a martini drinker so it will mostly be for cooking. Maybe I will break out "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and pick out a few things to try with it.

I first learned about cooking with vermouth with this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork...

now I use white vermouth for a pork pan sauce - it also pairs so nicely with fennel!

Vermouth is a wonderful and inexpensive sub for white wine. As for the remainder, if you're not a fan of martinis, now might be a good time to try some!

Many years ago, an Aunt of mine advised me that if I was making rice for a dinner party it was worth using dry vermouth instead of water

Cakes

Vermouth is a great addition to fish dishes that have a tomato braising liquid base. It gives a great flavor.

Bigpan

Vermouth is a "fortified" wine so will last after opening if kept cool and dark. The fridge is okay as is wine fridge. It will start to darken a bit and should be used within 6 months or 8 max.
You can use it for poaching fish, poaching eggs, deglazing any pan after frying meat. Can put a bit in salad dressing, or mix into jam for your morning toast and jam.
Better yet, enjoy learning to have a martini at 5pm each night !
Buy small bottle of none of the above appeals. I Buy the big bottle if you like martinis, and learn to use in more and more recipes.