What is the best way to clean wooden spoons?

When ever I wash my wooden spoons they always look too dry afterwards and I'm worried I am going to ruin them, or not get them clean enough. I have just hand washed them with soap and water. Should I be doing something else?

asked by Rachel McGuire over 1 year ago
Fsm

I wash mine with soap and water, but I oil them every so often when they start to look dry. Some simple kitchen oil like olive oil works fine for me. Eventually they get a patina on them and don't need oiling.

Hilary_sp1

Like trampledbygeese, I just wash mine in warm water and soap, then oil them about about once a week. I like the Boos block "mystery Oil"-- I have a wood block and a couple bamboo boards, too and the oil came with the block. I suspect it is mostly mineral oil and lanolin.

Some of my wooden spoons are at least 50 years old. I just wash them in the sink with the rest of the dishes. Air dry. I have never oiled them. They're good for at least another 50 years.