Swiss health bread

I had incredible bread, apparently the Swiss Health Bread from a NYC bakery, on a recent trip...and have no idea how to bake it, but really want to. Can anyone help? It had that kind of moist, dense, bubbly (not big air bubbles) texture from I think seeds/whole grains, and was darkish brown (not pumpernickel) and was FANTASTIC toasted. And I'm in London, so am relying on you, my beloved Food52 allies, to think of solutions...

asked by Scoff over 1 year ago
3-bizcard

Here is a recipe from Canadian Living http://www.canadianliving...
Did you get the bread from Orwashers?

Smokin_tokyo

Does look like a great recipe. We had such wonderful bread in Copenhagen Denmark! Thank you for sharing.

YES i did! do you know it? and if so do you think the recipe you've linked to is similar? I've asked them for advice but no reply yet, and want to recreate it...

3-bizcard

I go there often, their bread is delicious. I have had the swiss bread but it was years ago and looking at the recipe sounds like it could be similar. Using the levain will produce the air bubble look I think. If I come across another recipe will post that link also.

It is difficult to tell from your description, but could it be a Bauernbrot or Landbrot? These are usually sourdough ryes mixed with some wheat flour. They are baked in wood-burning ovens, usually in huge, round loaves (which weigh betwen 5 and 10 pounds). I vaguely remember seeing them in London--may have been at Borough Market, but I am not sure since I get plenty of that bread at home and wouldn't be likely to try it in England.