🔎

Swiss health bread

I had incredible bread, apparently the Swiss Health Bread from a NYC bakery, on a recent trip...and have no idea how to bake it, but really want to. Can anyone help? It had that kind of moist, dense, bubbly (not big air bubbles) texture from I think seeds/whole grains, and was darkish brown (not pumpernickel) and was FANTASTIC toasted. And I'm in London, so am relying on you, my beloved Food52 allies, to think of solutions...

3-bizcard

Here is a recipe from Canadian Living http://www.canadianliving...
Did you get the bread from Orwashers?

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added over 1 year ago

Does look like a great recipe. We had such wonderful bread in Copenhagen Denmark! Thank you for sharing.

Scoff added over 1 year ago

YES i did! do you know it? and if so do you think the recipe you've linked to is similar? I've asked them for advice but no reply yet, and want to recreate it...

3-bizcard

I go there often, their bread is delicious. I have had the swiss bread but it was years ago and looking at the recipe sounds like it could be similar. Using the levain will produce the air bubble look I think. If I come across another recipe will post that link also.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

It is difficult to tell from your description, but could it be a Bauernbrot or Landbrot? These are usually sourdough ryes mixed with some wheat flour. They are baked in wood-burning ovens, usually in huge, round loaves (which weigh betwen 5 and 10 pounds). I vaguely remember seeing them in London--may have been at Borough Market, but I am not sure since I get plenty of that bread at home and wouldn't be likely to try it in England.