🔎

Stringio

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. She also raises olives and makes oil in Tuscany, providing firsthand experience for her forthcoming book about olive oil.

Voted the Best Answer!

I respectfully suggest sticking with the recipe. If the lentils are high quality (tiny green ones from Le Puy, tiny gray ones from Castelluccio in Umbria), you want the flavor of the lentils to shine through and not be disguised by the flavor of chicken broth, even your finest home-made chicken broth. Save the broth for a risotto instead.

luvtocook10 added over 1 year ago

Thank you, good point.

darksideofthespoon added over 1 year ago

I used water, it was simply divine. Chicken broth might make it taste like something it shouldn't, if that makes any sense.. Good luck, I know you'll enjoy it! My husband and I ate this recipe (1lb of lentils!!!) in 2 days.

Chris_in_oslo

Lentils in chicken broth are delicious, but not as a salad. One alteration I sometimes make is replacing the olive oil with walnut oil (or maybe just adding a little). It smells wonderful when you pour it onto the warm lentils.