🔎

Carrot Cake, Vegetable Oil or Butter?

Going to make a carrot cake for the first time. As I look through available recipes, most call for a generic vegetable oil of some kind. I have to go back all the way back to my beloved James Beard’s American Cooking to reference a recipe for carrot cake that uses butter. Does anyone know why?

The_cook
Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

The oil makes it moist.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Butter can make carrot cake very heavy and dense. Oil makes carrot cake (most cakes really) lighter (i.e. fluffier).

anged added over 1 year ago

Better with butter

2007-09-11e-s4
WileyP added over 1 year ago

The recipe I use calls for 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1/2 cup apple sauce. The cake ends up light and fluffy and moist.

Fsm
trampledbygeese added over 1 year ago

I vote for butter as it makes a nicer flavour and I can't stand light, fluffy carrot cake. Carrot cake made with veg oil tastes like health food imitating yummy food.

Besides, carrot cake should be rich and dense, almost to the point of being a secret moist and naughty indulgence. It should make you feel pleasantly guilty for absconding with a slice for breakfast as you run out the door. It should be an amnesiac drug to make you forget that carrots have health benefits as well as making the cake sweet and sultry (because carrots are nothing if not sultry). That's what perfect carrot cake is to me, and in order to do all that, it needs butter, real butter.

378765_10100142819201243_27206805_43631123_963932696_n
The Fiery Epicurean added over 1 year ago

I'm a huge unsalted butter fan, but oil is much better in carrot cake!

ATG117 added over 1 year ago

Another vote for oil. Oil gives the cake moistness and it's often what's used in carrot, zucchini, and other quick breads.

Voted the Best Answer!

Carrot cake typically calls for oil rather than butter because in other cakes, a butter cake, for example, the way in which the soft butter and sugar are whipped together creates a nest of tiny pocket of air which help to leaven the cake. Carrot cake is more dense because of its many heavy ingredients, so this step is unnecessary, and would likely destabilize the cake, again because of all the weighty stuff in it. If you prefer the taste of butter, you can certainly substitute it, but melt it first so that you can treat it as you would oil.

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added over 1 year ago

Thank you all for such wonderfully informative and inspiring answers. Like so many issues of personal preference, it sounds like either one is a good choice. It just depends ...

Twitterprofilepic
K_Squared added over 1 year ago

In my experience, using butter in carrot cake really gives a more "cake-y" texture. Closer to pound cake, really. But oil results in a texture closer to moist bread (like banana bread?)

Jampro
Bevi added over 1 year ago

This is the carrot cake recipe I have used for decades, from The Bakery Lane Cookbook: Freeman Allen's Carrot Cake. Bakery Lane was a restaurant in Middlebury, VT, famous for this cake and other great baked goods. http://andbabycakesthree...

Jampro
Bevi added over 1 year ago

And it calls for vegetable oil....

THE BITTER CHEF added over 1 year ago

What? No love for olive oil? Once you go olive oil in carrot cake, you'll never go back.

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added about 1 year ago

Would olive oil work okay? Butter is tough to beat, but if I were to decide to give oil a try, olive would be my first choice. But let me ask you this, THE BITTER CHEF, have you actually tried making a carrot cake with olive oil?

I've not made carrot cake with olive oil, but yesterday made gingerbread with it, and it was divine. I'll never go back!

THE BITTER CHEF added about 1 year ago

Won't make carrot cake any other way. No need to use expensive extra-virgin. Every day olive oil does the trick. Now go make one. Now. It won't make itself.

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added about 1 year ago

I'll do it with olive oil! Need to work out my ratios first, but I am going to give it my best shot.

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added about 1 year ago

My thanks to The Bitter Chef. I have made two carrot cakes now both with olive oil and to my taste, it is right on.

Pasta--fresca
ChefManuela added about 1 year ago

We make it with Olive oil and almonts
Lemon sugar glazing
www.cooking-class-authentic...

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added about 1 year ago

I tried a lemon glaze and I was the only one who liked it. The people sitting at my table are used to the traditional cream cheese frosting. I appreciate you letting me know I am not alone.

THE BITTER CHEF added about 1 year ago

Forget butter. Salted or unsalted. Skip vegetable oil. Don't go near applesauce. What? Why? What's up with applesauce? ... If you're going to make a carrot cake the way to go is olive oil. You don't know me, but trust me. Olive oil.