🔔
🔎

cast iron skillet

10.5 or 12 inch?

asked by ATG117 almost 2 years ago
Fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I'm a 10" girl myself, but I only have 2 to 5 people to cook for at any one time. Also, it fits on my electric burner, whereas the 12" would be too big and harder to get an even distribution of heat. If I cooked with gas, I would probably size up

... but you know it's not the size that matters (how could I not say it?) it's what you cook in it.

Bigpan

It would be 20% more in size - and weight!
Good for your biceps.

For that, I go to the gym

Both! My 10" skillet never leaves the stovetop. Burgers, grilled sandwiches, bacon, eggs-its my goto pan. However, the size is limiting. When I fry a whole chicken cut in pieces, the 12" skillet is the pan, as it is also if I brown large pieces of meat, including roasts such as a Prime Rib.

Jc_profilepic

I have a few - all under 10" - and wish I had a 12" one (my only large one split in half years ago.) f it were me I would start with a 12" and if you love it buy a 9" one down the road.

2007-09-11e-s4

Actually, the area of a 12" ci skillet is more than 40% larger than one of a mere 10" (113+ sq.in. vs 78+ sq.in.), so there's a great deal more weight with the 12 incher. Might need two or three friends to help you manhandle it until your muscles bulk up a little!

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I have both 10 and 12. I use 10 for small tasks and when I am cooking for max two people. For me 12 is the real workhorse.

Best use for 12" is on the grill, larger surface to provide even heat

Both. Both. Both. I cook every night and I think each one gets used at least 4 times a week.
I actually heat up the 10 and then use it as a panini press on my 12.