🔎

• 5

• 1242

• See other questions tagged:
    • hummus

What's the trick to making extra creamy hummus. I soaked my beans for about 24 hours, the cooked them for 2 hours.

I processed the hell out of them; but it did not get as velvety as my favorite Lebanese restaurant. Do you process them warmer cold?

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Deb over at Smitten Kitchen swears the trick is to peel the chickpeas! http://smittenkitchen.com...

Profilepreferred

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

Voted the Best Answer!

Did you add baking soda to the cooking water with your chickpeas? This makes the skins slip off, and makes for a creamier end product. Also, I add dribbles of the cooking water to the hummus to soften edges and get the consistency right.

Profilepreferred

jilhil added over 1 year ago

There's a good article in The Guardian at http://www.guardian.co... that gives a lot of hints.

Gator_cake

Use warm garbanzos (per Melissa Clark and Cooks Illustrated)- if using canned or cooled cooked beans pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. As the beans cool the starch they contain forms crystals, the heat helps break up the crystals. Put the beans in the food processor with the garlic, salt, and other seasonings then process until ground. Scrape bowl. Next drizzle in the water & lemon juice while the processor is running. Scrape bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil and tahini (which you've previously whisked together) while the processor is running. Process about 15 to 20 seconds until creamy, scraping bowl once or twice. By combining it in this order you get an emulsion so the final product will be just like what you get from a Lebanese restaurant.