Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker?

I've tried to make brown rice in a rice cooker for the past few times now but it always comes out mushy. I've tried less water-more time, more water-(a little) less time but haven't been able to find the right technique yet. I want to avoid the oven method (too much time on a weeknight for one person). I also have a finicky electric stove (NYC apt) so I don't want to hover over the stove all night long either. I know there's gotta be a way to get perfectly cooked brown rice in a rice cooker! Thoughts anyone?

Thx in advance!

asked over 1 year ago
Scan0004

First, see if your rice cooker has instructions for cooking brown rice. I have one with a 'measure' cup, and markings on the side that indicate the water level depending on the type of rice used. My experience has been good -- the rice is just right. If you have no instructions or clues, use 1 c rice:2 c water -- that works for me.

Chris_in_oslo

If you don't already, add just a little oil.

Cook's Illustrated says 2 1/3 cups water or stock to 1 1/2 cup brown rice. This ratio has worked VERY consistently for me.

Gobblegobble

After fiddling with techniques of all sorts, this is the one that works for me: I suggest that if you know you're going to be cooking brown rice that day, soak your brown rice in advance. I've done it at least an hour before, but the longer the better (once I had an impromptu dinner date so my brown rice ended up soaking overnight and then some). I throw my rice into some tupperware (even a recycled plastic takeout soup container will work so use what you've got), let it soak, drain, and then cook with the 2:1 ratio (though I'm Asian, so I was taught the hand method). Works like a charm!

Smokin_tokyo

I agree with susan g that looking at your directions for your machine is a good start. I have 2 cycles: a 3 hour, and a 70 minute cycle for brown rice, white is different. Also different water amounts.

Scan0004

If you get the timing right for when you want to serve the rice, there is a nutrient increase effect in soaking brown rice. It's often called GABA rice, because that's one of the increased components. Some rice cookers will program the soaking time in before cooking. Here's instructions: http://www.instructables...

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet