🔎

A question about a recipe: Beef Bourguignon

I have a question about the recipe "Beef Bourguignon" from TasteFood. is there a substitute for cognac in this recipe? (don't have any on hand)...

Beef
Stringio
nutcakes added about 1 year ago

If you don't have Brandy to use instead, I suppose you could use Vermouth, but you won't have quite the same flavor profile. Otherwise, pick another recipe to make this time --1/2 cup is quite a lot and it seems it wouldn't be the same without it.

Pegeen added about 1 year ago

Cognac is a type of brandy. You can use other brandy besides cognac. You could also substitute red wine or beef broth. It's not critical to use brandy as it's only 1/2 cup to deglaze the pan.

Pegeen added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

p.s. It would be nice, but in my humble opinion you can make great boeuf bourgignon without cognac. Of the two, using some "decent" red wine in the recipe (something you wouldn't mind drinking) is more important.

Stringio
laurakelso added about 1 year ago

Thank you Nutcakes and Pegeen. I decided to persevere with a lovely Columbia Valley Cabernet on hand. Judging by the aroma now wafting from the oven, the bourguignon will still be a crowd-pleaser. Cheers!