YEAR-ROUND LOVE. GIVE MOM A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Grilled Fennel flatbread

In the recipe for Grilled Fennel Flatbread with Olives and Sultanas (http://food52.com/recipes...), it goes right from talking about the first rise to the second rise, with no indication of what's supposed to happen in between. Am I right that the dough should be punched down after the first rise?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

To me, it looks like it should be punched down then possibly rest for a few min before loosely shaping the dough into a ball and placing on a well floured plate.

Although, my personal feelings on using a floured surface for a second rise is that you risk dark streaks in the finished bread. I would usually use a bit of olive oil to lightly coat the dough and then cover it with a dry towel and let it rise. But I'm terrible at not following directions to the letter, so feel free to ignore my opinion on this matter.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

You gave me more to think about, Trampled, so I'm further ahead than I was! Thanks for your input.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Hope I didn't give you too much to think about.

It looks like a yummy recipe. Sort of a cross between a flat bread and a pizza. The bread part looks pretty easy to make, it's the toppings that I would have trouble with. I think I'll give it ago if I can get the fennel, goat fetta and olives.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I'm not sure what's meant by a cube of feta, anyway, but I don't think it's crucial. Just buy what's available where you are and put on as much or little as you like.