🔎

• 12

• 2644

What herbs go well with grapefruit?

My grapefruit tree is going bananas (ha ha). I cannot keep up! The grapefruit is actually quite sweet, nothing like the mouth-puckering bitterness of grapefruit in the market. I have been eating as many as I can, but I am thinking of juicing them to add to sparkling water as a flavoring, just to keep up with the production. I was going to reduce the juice a little (without adding sugar for health if possible) and I was wondering if it might be good with a sprig of rosemary or something else....any ideas? I have a big herb garden with rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, pineapple sage, evergreen basil, mint, chives, dill, tarragon, lemongrass...and probably some I am forgetting.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added about 1 year ago

i usually add some mint leaves (cut into a chiffonade) in grapefruit salads

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

I like grapefruit and basil.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

Oh, I sooooo envy you on your herb garden. Not sure if you have it, but how about lemon verbena?

IlovePhilly added about 1 year ago

Mint, cilantro and parsley are all fantastic with grapefruit!

Coconut-panna-cotta-small-for-web
Couldn't Be Parve added about 1 year ago

One of my absolute favorite flavor combinations is tarragon and grapefruit. If you are looking for something to do with all those grapefruit tarragon grapefruit sorbet (or granita) is amazing.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 1 year ago

I agree with mint and tarragon, but try some fresh ground pepper ! Might sound weird but perks it up, especially if you bake the grapefruit - very nice served warm from a slow oven.

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added about 1 year ago

lloreen,,great question. Thanks to all for these suggestions. I have a huge tree of natsu mikan (sour like grapefruit but orange) just getting ripe and I'll try some of these combinations

prandial added about 1 year ago

Have you considered ginger as a spicy addition? If you made a ginger simple syrup you could create a grapefruit ginger soda with seltzer or even a granita (if you have the time).

lloreen added about 1 year ago

Great suggestions! I am going to whip up a few of these combinations. I love the idea of a ginger grapefruit soda and the other herb combos sound very refreshing too.

Scan0004
susan g added about 1 year ago

Another option is bitters -- which are herbal concentrates.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added about 1 year ago

Grapefruit bitters is a great idea! Here's a recipe from http://www.autumnmakesanddoes...:

Grapefruit Bitters with Juniper Berries

Peel of one organic grapefruit (with the pith on), chopped
1 tablespoon of juniper berries

Place all in a quart jar, covered it with vodka or Everclear (it took about 1½ cups), and let it infuse for a week. When it’s ready to drink, pour it through a fine mesh strainer, then through a coffee filter.

P1291120
SeaJambon added about 1 year ago

Moving in a different direction, you might want to consider making grapefruit marmalade as a way to preserve the fruit. Heck, you could make it really interesting by adding some of the above herb suggestions to the marmalade!