🔎

• 17

• 3856

nutcakes added about 1 year ago

I find that something citrus after something spicy is really good. Esp if it has seafood. I used to like to make tangerine mousse. I think it was from Chez Panisse Desserts.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 1 year ago

Bananas Foster !
(google it if you don't know it)

Jenny Maria added about 1 year ago

Something filing for those who aren't keen on seafood. So banan forester sounds good. Pr a spicy brownie

Image

I agree with nutcakes about citrus. If you can get Meyer lemons, try this tart: http://food52.com/recipes...
It's super easy and delicious.

036

Are you staying with a New Orleans theme? That takes my thoughts to bread pudding - this one (a contest winner!) is also citrus - I have made it and it's great, and much lighter than a typical bread pudding:
http://food52.com/recipes...

but there are loads of choices out there.

amysarah added about 1 year ago

If you are thinking New Orleans, you could make (or purchase) some pralines, maybe serve them crumbled over a scoop of ice cream? Perhaps with a splash of bourbon, if you're so inclined.

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

Banana Pudding!

Junechamp

for a true New Orleans finale, how about Beignets served with chicory coffee?

I love the beignets at Cafe du Monde along with the chicory coffee. But that's really more of a breakfast thing than a dessert.

Maedl added about 1 year ago

Years ago I loved to eat at a Cajun restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland. My favorite meal was jambalaya, a beer straight from Louisiana, and bread pudding studded with raisins and napped in bourbon sauce. Oh, I can almost taste it now! They also made some of the best beignets I’ve ever eaten, but that was a morning treat. Good thing the restaurant is no more, because I don’t think my waistline could take it.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added about 1 year ago

Maedl - that restaurant is no more, but some of the people opened another on the other side of Bethesda which isn't the same, but isn't bad.

FutureChef added about 1 year ago

What's the name? I'm intrigued!

Maedl added about 1 year ago

Oh, my goodness! I just googled and found Louisiana Kitchen, successor to Louisiana Express. This is truly dangerous--the jambalaya and beignets are still there, as is the pecan bread pudding with the whiskey sauce. Don't know why I thought it was a bourbon sauce--I know the difference!

FutureChef added about 1 year ago

Cool! I'll have to check I out! I was eating at cafe du monde a month ago (which feels like yesterday but also forever in beignet time--haha) soill have to see how they compare. Thanks maedl/healthier kitchen

Open-uri20130207-28826-17f2oyg-0

Virginia Willis is a chef, food writer, culinary TV producer, professional recipe developer, and author. Her latest book, Basic to Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Companywas rated as one of the top rated cookbooks of 2011.

As jambalaya is so spicy and flavorful, I suggest a full-flavored dessert, as well. If you want to stay with a Creole theme you could make a boozy Bananas Foster or try this Banana Foster Banana Pudding I developed for Taste of the South magazine.
http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine...
I would also suggest something chocolate-based like Chocolate Cake or Chocolate Bread Pudding. One way or the other, you're going to want something pretty intents to stand up to the jambalaya. Bon Appetit, Y'all! Virginia Willis

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream has a recipe for bourbon vanilla ice cream! Delicious!

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago