vodka-bergamot infusion

I bought a bergamot orange, removed the zest in strips with a veg. peeler, and put the zest in a 200ml bottle of vodka to infuse; it's been there about 3 days. The fruit itself is still in the fridge; can I use the juice? How long should I infuse, and how can I use the infusion? Thanks.

asked by creamtea over 1 year ago
Bigpan

Yes, use the juice now.
The infusion will get better with age - don't expect much until at least 3 or 4 weeks ... and then it will get stronger as it ages.
I make fig infused vodka and it is about 6 months old and is great. I top the bottle up with fresh vodka so it is always got reasonable flavor.

Dsc00859_2

Figgy vodka, what a nice idea!

Gator_cake

Taste a tiny bit of the vodka to see when it's ready. Citrus tends to infuse rather quickly, so I'd start checking soon. I did a tangelo and thyme infused bourbon, and think it was ready in a week or so.

Dsc00859_2

Thanks bigpan and hardlikearmour. Curious how I can use it; not only for cocktails (actually I've never made a cocktail in my life) but for cooking applications, or even dessert.

Dsc00859_2

Gator_cake

How about an Earl Grey panna cotta, pudding, or sorbet? Or a bit of it with sugar to macerate strawberries for shortcake?

Where did you find bergamot?

Dsc00859_2

Fairway gets all kinds of amazing specialty citrus. Had to try it...

Dsc00859_2

thanks again, hla, what great ideas!

Flower-bee

I can only imagine how great it smells. Perhaps you could also make a dressing for salads as a savory variation, that would stretch the enjoyment over a bit longer.

Dsc00859_2

That's a nice idea, I also was thinking of a simple creamy sauce for pasta.