🔎

Does anyone have a recipe for a hard candy without corn syrup?

I'm hoping to make some this evening but don't want to have to go to the grocery. Any suggestions? I've been scouring the internet, but not having any luck, I know that it must be possible!

Stringio
Gator_cake

The corn syrup is there to interfere with crystallization. When you melt sugar you get a pile of sucrose molecules, which have a penchant for forming crystalline structure around any stray sugar grain or other debris, or when they get disturbed. The simple sugar molecules (fructose and glucose) found in corn syrup act as a buffer for the process, because they get in between the sucrose molecules making it harder for them to link up. You could try adding something to invert the sucrose molecules into fructose and glucose molecules -- cream of tartar or lemon juice are common inverting agents. Or you could use a different invert syrup - pure glucose syrup, agave nectar, or golden syrup would all likely work. The commercial corn syrup available is not the same as the high fructose corn syrup used in food processing, if that makes you feel any better about using it.

jsdunbar added about 1 year ago

I've made hard candy with maple syrup. I don't have the recipe at hand, but it worked well

Sam1148 added about 1 year ago

I wonder if the submitter is worried about high fructose corn syrup? Corn Syrup isn't the same product. Although it's a very sugary product with high glyemic index--it's not equal to HFCS.

Ophelia added about 1 year ago

It sounds as if the submitter simply doesn't stock corn syrup in her pantry and wants to make candy without having to go to the store first.
It's not really a hard candy, but you can try making honeycomb candy (http://chemistry.about...) It's a lot of fun, if a bit finicky and can taste a bit like soda if you're not careful... maybe don't try that unless your in the mood for an experiment.
There are a lot of recipes that use honey instead of corn syrup that seem pretty credible if you like the flavor of honey. I found a bunch by searching "honey candy recipe".

I agree with Ophelia. Honey is a good sub for corn syrup (aka Karo). All invert sugars (sugar in dilute form) contain just enough acid to prevent the molecules from bonding at opposite poles and therefore re-crystallysing.

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13
lapadia added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Hi Jessica!
Ahem…you have probably made your candy but I have to say:
No corn syrup? Don’t want to go to the store? Not to worry.
Note: When making hard candies corn syrup is added to help achieve its smooth consistency, a clear, glassy candy. Corn syrup acts as an "interfering agent" in candy recipes. It contains glucose molecules that keep sucrose (regular sugar) molecules in a hard candy syrup from crystallizing. Sucrose crystals will result in a grainy, opaque looking candy.

Regular sugar (sucrose) is two simple sugars linked (glucose and fructose). If you separate them, then you are creating fructose and glucose, the interfering agent needed to prevent crystallization. You can make an invert sugar syrup recipe at home per this blog: http://notsohumblepie.blogspot...
Invert Sugar Syrup Recipe
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice OR 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once it boils, stop stirring and wash down the sides of the pot with a damp pastry brush to remove any crystals from the side of the pan. Allow the pot to boil undisturbed until it reaches 230°F and then remove from heat.
Cool to room temperature and then pour into a heat safe container (mason jars work great). Store tightly covered in the refrigerator, if not using immediately.
Also: there is a retail product = Invertase, found though specialty shops that cater to home candy makers, Or just google Amazon if you want to wait for it.
Note: Honey will soften candy, because it attracts moisture.
Anyway, I don’t have a recipe to make the candy but when I googled "hard candy no corn syrup" I found several links that might have just what you are looking for ;)

Happy Candy Making!!

Stringio
Jessica Mont-Eton added about 1 year ago

Thank you all for the lovely answers! I am not so much concerned with HFCS, but I would always rather use pure cane sugar if I can help it, also it makes for one less ingredient in my too-full baking cupboards.

I do know about cooking with sugar in general, my favorite buttercream is an Italian meringue, but thanks for all the tips on that as well!

SMCS added 6 months ago

I am concerned about HFCS (if you stop eating something for a month and feel better chances are it's the thing you cut making you feel like crap) so I am glad to find instructions to make candy without this modern killer (high fructose corn syrup) Thanks to those who answered without judging. :)