🔎

Kidney bean salad

I bought these gorgeous gigantic purple speckled kidney beans and thinking about making a salad (in couple of hours). I would love to hear from you on how you would use them in a dish.

Dscf1033
Moi_1
Maedl added about 1 year ago

They would be lovely in a salad--but they might not keep the mottled appearance after cooking.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I know :( I keep on looking at them all day long...

Maedl added about 1 year ago

That makes me laugh! I bought some black and white beans from Rancho Gordo about two years ago and put them in a glass jar. They are still there--too pretty to use!

Flower-bee
Droplet added about 1 year ago

I have the exact same beans in my pantry right now :). I have been thinking about cooking them long and slow in a tomato and leek sauce maybe, with some oregano.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I just cooked them, and they taste like chestnuts! I expected them to taste like gigantic kidney beans - and was preparing a smokey paste of sun-dried tomatoes and garlic, but now that they taste like chestnuts, not sure anymore that sun-dried tomato is a good idea. Need to redesign my dish in the next hour or so :)

Flower-bee
Droplet added about 1 year ago

If they taste like chestnuts they might be good in a pumpkin stew of sorts...with some feta cheese. Now I know what to expect when I go to cook mine :)

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I am considering simmering the beans with dry mushrooms, rosemary and cream, maybe a tiny bit of carrot, but not sure. Anyhow, I packed my beans and left them in a fridge until tomorrow. It gives me an extra day to think the dish through. I will let you know how it turns out.

Scan0004
susan g added about 1 year ago

QueenSashy, Droplet, what are the beans called?

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I bought mine at the farmer's market (they were so incredibly pretty) and the salesgirl did not know the name. I googled them and believe that they are Large Black Speckled Kidney Beans.

Flower-bee
Droplet added about 1 year ago

Susan, my father got them for me, I will see if he can ask the lady at the market that he goes to.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

Droplet, I finally used the beans -- not in a salad, but in an earthy ragout with dried mushrooms, carrots and rosemary. They are wonderful!!! We actually ate half of the beans before they made into ragout. I posted the recipe as "Chestnut" and Mushroom Ragout (http://food52.com/recipes...).

Flower-bee
Droplet added about 1 year ago

Thank you for letting us know :). They look really good. I will give mine a try in a stew with some butternut squash and maybe some roasted red peppers...I have to admit though that it was a bit disheartening to find out the beans are a Chinese hybrid.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

A butternut stew sounds delcious. Look forward to your dish!