🔔
🔎

Which Vitamix?

I have decided to invest in a better blender to help try to wean my family off processed foods. Most of my serious/semi-serious cooking friends recommend a Vitamix. But now I see there are about a dozen to choose from: 5200, 1363, 1710, 1300 and more! The Amazon reviews aren't helping, because apparently everyone thinks that THEIR model is the best. This is getting to be almost as difficult a choice as choosing a kindergarten for my kid! Can anyone offer some guidance?
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS I looked in the Food52 archive, and while there was quite a bit of blender discussion, I didn't see anything where people weighed in on specific vitamix models.

asked by TobiT almost 2 years ago

The main recommendation I would make with vitamix is that you make sure that whichever line is your choice, you make sure it has the hot/cold feature so you can use it for frozen desserts as well as soups.

There are also different warranty lengths (5 v. 7 years) so that should be a determinant. Notice on the vitamix site too that they offer refurbished vitamixes at a substantially lower price and that still are inclusive of the same warranties.

I would also look into Blendtec depending on your needs. They do not have the hot/cold feature, but their motor's horsepower is actually higher than vitamix's. (the downside being that they're slightly louder but honestly not markedly since they're both just naturally loud equipment) Also, I find their lids (with the scraper built in superior to the vitamix tamper... a small personal preference but it speaks to functionality).

Hope this helps! Happy blending!

This may not be the most helpful answer, but Williams Sonoma has some on sale right now. On their web site, about half-way down the page for any of the models they're selling, you should see a link for a comparison chart.

I own the 5200 and swear by it. It's perfect for everything you would want to make in a powerful blender. I have heard of a new model (sorry I don't know the number) that is out now that fits under cabinets and is a quieter version. LOVE Vitamix!

I inherited a stainless steel vitamix from my sister. I used it quite a bit for the first months. Then it was under counter dweller. It was fun at first, making soups, sauces etc...but eventually the bling wore off..and a stick blender did the same for sauces. It might depend on how many people are in you home, for two people it's not worth it for a home cook that's only serving a couple of people. Ask yourself "How often do I use normal blender" if you can't come up with more 3 times a month...reconsider the cost for a super blender.

Thanks, everyone! Good things to think about. I appreciate the guidance.

I researched and bought a vitamix a year ago. I did not like it because it aerated everything so much. I returned it. It seems the Blendtec doesn't do this to the same extent if that matters to you.

Every Vitamix is capable of working with both hot and cold ingredients.

In order to make something hot like soup, you simply increase the processing time, usually more than 5 minutes. Frozen desserts, like ice creams or sorbets, only require short processing times, less then a minute.

The biggest difference between Vitamix machines is the included accessories or the controls. This site has a great comparison tool and some helpful reviews - http://blenderreviews.us...

Yeah like ChefAdam said above, all of the Vitamixes are able to make hot soups or cold items. For hot recipes, all you need to do is blend it longer and the unit will automatically start to heat up.

As far as models go, I own a 5200 and love it. I honestly use this thing like 2-3 times a day now to make smoothies. I bought mine refurbished from the Vitamix website so I saved about $100 over if I bought it brand new.

Here's a pretty good in-depth review on the 5200 that I just dug up in case you want to check it out to get more details: http://www.charlottesvineyard...

Hope it helps!

If you'd like a more in depth analysis of the features of the various Vitamix models check out: http://joyofblending.com...

Buddhacat

I love my 5200 and especially am glad I opted for a dry container also. It has a different blade and is good for wheat and nuts and flax seeds. I use my Vitamix daily. And they last for years. Anything larger than a 5200 is overkill for a kitchen, mostly bars use them. And I didn't get the stainless steel casing, just the plain white so that saved some money.

Dsc_0028

I also have a 5200 and love it. You might want to check out the September 1, 2012 Cook's Illustrated review. CI rated the Vitamix 5200 a co-winner with a Breville blender that is half the price. CI says they use the Vitamix 5200 in their test kitchen.

I love my 5200! I've had it for years and use it just about every day. It's their most popular model and sold directly through their website or by phone. You can also get free shipping using a "vitamix promotion code" number from an online sales affiliate like www.rawblends.com/vitamix...