I've been reading on this website that you should defrost your turkey in a refrigerator 24 hours for every 4 or 5 lbs. Unfortunately, I will be 2 or 3 days short. Can I leave the sealed turkey in a pan overnight? Also, I've also been reading that the thermometer should be placed in the thigh. I saw on Food Network a recommendation by the Barefoot Contessa to place it in the breast and cook to 160 degrees. Which is correct?

asked by esquire635 over 3 years ago

165 degrees in the thigh pointed towards the body cavity, and stay away from the bone. The 160 in the breast is due to the fact the breast gets done differently. DO NOT leave the turkey out of the refrigerator at room temperature. You can place it in its sealed bag in the sink in cold water keeping the water changed every now and then but never leave it at room temperature, you will be inviting food borne contamination. If the breasts seems to be getting too brown and done before the thigh then put a sheet of foil over the breast to keep the breast moist. You need to baste it about every hour.

Cakecake

I bought a frozen 13-pound turkey today and have been quick-thawing him (in original wrapper) since 2:00 pm by submerging it in cold water and changing the water every 30 minutes (though I've forgotten twice and left him swimming in cold water for nearly 1 1/2 hours). I think he's got another 2-3 hours of quick-thawing left. Definitely do not leave it at room-temp overnight.