🔎

A question about a recipe: State Fair Cream Puffs

I have a question about the recipe "State Fair Cream Puffs" from hardlikearmour. Has anyone ever tried mixing the dough in a Kitchen Aid instead of the food processor? I only have a mini food processor and there is no way the dough would fit in the bowl.

Food52_01-24-12-9856
3-bizcard

Hopefully hardlikearmour will see this and weigh in but I don't think this dough can be made using the KA, its a choux and although she used her food processor to beat in the eggs (great idea BTW) I always make choux by hand. I can't imagine making it in the stand mixer, you couldn't use the whisk or dough hook and I don't think the paddle would work so IMHO you could just beat the eggs in by hand. Maybe someone has successfully used the stand mixer and will weigh in.

Gator_cake

I'm with sdebrango on this one. I'd mix the eggs in by hand instead -- once the flour, butter, water portion is done let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes then beat the eggs in one at a time with a wooden spoon. Each egg needs to be fully incorporated before adding the next. I'd probably add the white after adding at least one of the eggs.

pqmommy added about 1 year ago

I use my Kitchenaid for this all the time. Use the paddle attachment. It makes quick work of the eggs!

ATG117 added about 1 year ago

I've seen this done with the dough hook, though when I make choux, I usually do so by hand.

Open-uri20130104-6994-uu5d46-0
Pastry Craft added about 1 year ago

The paddle attachment on a stand mixer is the best way to mix in the eggs for pate a choux. Using a whip will contribute air to the choux which is not appropriate. A food processor could work provided you do a quick pulse for each egg and scrape well after each egg addition. By hand is the hard way, but certainly doable. It builds muscles!

3-bizcard

Thats really good to know, I never thought a stand mixer would work.