A question about a recipe: Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

B0ih7gurraybsvhovfjzlfgi9p6rx17kz_who6uuk4o

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili" from Gena Hamshaw. Can you offer a substitution for chipotle pepper en adobo (whatever that is) for those of us in Europe / Australia / Asia? I have chipotle powder?

asked by Joanne51 over 1 year ago
Monita_photo

Chipotle in adobo are dried peppers canned in a tomato sauce. You can substitute with any dried peppers that will give you the level of "heat" you'd like

Do you mean chillies? Dried chillies?

36759_1508809845303_1386043621_1376719_953512_n

Joanne--
According to the McCormick web site, approximately 1/2 tsp chipotle powder is an acceptable substitute for 1 large canned pepper: http://www.mccormickgourmet...

Baci1

I would also add a chili that is smoked.

Scan0004

...jalapenos, smoked, sauced.

Look in the foreign foods section of a large grocery store. I am pretty sure I have seen them in Germany.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

You might also consider making your own "mock" chipotles en adobo. To make the real thing, you'd need to find red jalape├▒os, smoke them, and then sauce them. However, I'll wager you could make a version of this with chipotle powder, garlic, catsup, and perhaps some toasted and ground spices like cumin and coriander. A bit more effort, but it should get you close to the flavor profile of canned chipotles en adobo.