🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

B0ih7gurraybsvhovfjzlfgi9p6rx17kz_who6uuk4o

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili" from Gena Hamshaw. Can you offer a substitution for chipotle pepper en adobo (whatever that is) for those of us in Europe / Australia / Asia? I have chipotle powder?

asked by Joanne51 almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

Chipotle in adobo are dried peppers canned in a tomato sauce. You can substitute with any dried peppers that will give you the level of "heat" you'd like

Do you mean chillies? Dried chillies?

36759_1508809845303_1386043621_1376719_953512_n

Joanne--
According to the McCormick web site, approximately 1/2 tsp chipotle powder is an acceptable substitute for 1 large canned pepper: http://www.mccormickgourmet...

Baci1

I would also add a chili that is smoked.

Scan0004

...jalapenos, smoked, sauced.

Look in the foreign foods section of a large grocery store. I am pretty sure I have seen them in Germany.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

You might also consider making your own "mock" chipotles en adobo. To make the real thing, you'd need to find red jalapeƱos, smoke them, and then sauce them. However, I'll wager you could make a version of this with chipotle powder, garlic, catsup, and perhaps some toasted and ground spices like cumin and coriander. A bit more effort, but it should get you close to the flavor profile of canned chipotles en adobo.