🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Basic suet crust recipe for English style meat pies?

Making a meat pie right now, but can't find my suet crust recipe. I think it was flour, salt, suet and water, but what ratios? Making 4 small meat pies, or 2 large ones, both top and bottom crust.

Please help quick. The filling will be ready in about an hour, and I need to get these in the oven for tonight's dinner.

I have both ground suet and lard, don't mind a recipe for either so long as it goes well with beef and onions.

asked by trampledbygeese over 1 year ago
Hilary_sp1

I can't get the recipe through the spam blocker--
but I really like Paul Hollywood's Hot Water Pastry Crust on the BBC Food site.

Fsm

Thanks Hilarybee, I'll give it a google. I love boiled crusts for standing meat pies.

I ended up going with a not-too-rich Mrs Beeton recipe. 1cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3cup (Mrs B-- asks for 1/2 to 2/3cup but I find it too rich) suet, and water to texture. Worked out pretty well. But the proof of the pie is in the eating, so I will have to wait and see what they say come dinner time.

Fsm

ug, the crust didn't turn out all that good at all. Anyone got another recipe for a suet or lard crust for the top of meat pies?