🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Juicing beets?!?

How do you juice a beat when you have the whole thing including stalk and no juicer? I have a blender? But I think my first inclination to chop up the bulb and pulse it is wrong.

asked by mgidwitz over 1 year ago
Flower-bee

Are you after raw juice for drinking? If not you can chop it Very finely and heat it over very low heat with just a tad of water until it releases it's own juice. Cool and strain.

Thank you! This worked perfectly.

Without a juicer, this is probably your best bet:
1) remove stalk, peel outside skin... Prepare for stained hands or get gloves so it doesn't look like you murderer someone/ have jaundice (depending on red or yellow beets)
2) use a food processor to get as close to a purée as you can
3) separate pulp and juice--best cheap method is using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth. They sell them at whole foods and the like for a couple of bucks. If you have a fine sieve, that will work. A chinois would also work really well if you happen to have one of those.

If you're really desperate and don't have a food processor or any sort of sieve you can get really creative. Microplane and paper towels. Microplane is your food processor and paper towels are your sieve. Be prepared for a little extra mess though. I've done it before though when visiting other people with ginger.

Thank you! The cheese cloth was an excellent suggestion.