🔎

• 8

• 934

My Vietnamese shrimp recipe calls for corn starch Can I use flour instead ? Or something else ?

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

what are you making?

Irwin added about 1 year ago

vietnamese style shrimp cakes

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

Flour should be fine then.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 1 year ago

I would consider arrowroot powder.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 1 year ago

You have to be careful substituting flour for cornstarch: Flour has half the thickening power and tends to taste like what it is, raw flour. The best substitute depends on the temperature the dish will be cooked to and the other ingredients. Arrowroot or tapioca maybe…

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

For Vietnamese fish cakes, I believe the cornstarch is there for texture, not thickening. That's why I think the flour should be ok. It might not produce the same texture, but it should work to a certain extent. I figured that since katei does not have cornstarch, chances are he/she does not have the arrowroot or tapioca starch either.

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

oops, that should be 'shrimp' not 'fish' cakes.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 1 year ago

I wasn't disagreeing with you HalfPint, only suggesting caution which I guess wasn’t necessary since apparently you were one step ahead of me. If you know anything about Vietnamese shrimp cakes you know more than I do.