🔎

• 6

• 341

Hey @Food52Hotline! What's the difference between jam, preserve, and marmalade? Thanks!

Nella22
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Jam and preserve are the same. Marmalade is a preserve containing fruit rind

Image
ZombieCupcake added about 1 year ago

Don't really think there is to much of a difference besides the kind of fruit used... Now jellies use pectin

Image
ZombieCupcake added about 1 year ago

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added about 1 year ago

Technecially, preserves have lower brix (less solids) then jams, but by only a couple of degrees. Large jam manufacturers save money by producing preserves, since they do not have to cook as long to reduce the moisture.

Donna M added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Jam is made with crushed fruit, preserves have chunks of fruit, marmalade is made with the rind & pulp of citrus (the whole fruit cut up). And although you didn't ask, jelly is made with fruit juice and no solids. :)

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added about 1 year ago

I often think of preserves as being a little more rustic (more fruit solids, sometimes seeds). Marmalade, as far as I know, is restricted to citrus and contains the rinds. To make matters even more complex, there are also conserves, which may contain fresh and dried fruits as well as nuts.