🔎

The seals on my Weck preserving jars have stretched out & don't fit. Any Ideas why? Or how to fix?

These ate the smallest size. The larger sizes seem ok.

Buddhacat
SKK added about 1 year ago

They wear out and need to be replaced every so often. Can't be fixed. Buy new ones for safety.

Maedl added about 1 year ago

You should be able to buy them by the small bag so you can have some on hand.

Nomnomnom added about 1 year ago

Thanks SKK and Maedl. Sadly they are quite new, used only a few times. Just thought I got a bad batch. Cheers!

Maedl added about 1 year ago

I had just assumed you had had them for a long time. The rubber should be good for at least several years. What were you storing in the jars? Perhaps the gaskets came in contact with a substance--perhaps alcohol?-- that caused the rubber to deteriorate.

Nomnomnom added about 1 year ago

The last thing I used them for was to keep a small quantity of Torrisi's spicy sauce in the fridge. No alcohol in their lives yet. Could oil from the sauce cause this to happen? So strange!

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

Yes, oil can warp the rubber seal, as well as any acid in the sauce.

Nomnomnom added about 1 year ago

Thank you, HalfPint! Will keep the oil and acid away from the selas from now on! Cheers.

paseo added about 1 year ago

Unless I am preserving in the Wecks, I don't use the rubber seals (and then only once). The glass lids w/clamps work fine unless you are preserving, but for storage are fine. . You can buy reusable lids directly from Weck in the US that last a long time - and come in sizes that fit each of their jars.

Nomnomnom added about 1 year ago

Much obliged!