The seals on my Weck preserving jars have stretched out & don't fit. Any Ideas why? Or how to fix?

These ate the smallest size. The larger sizes seem ok.

asked by Nomnomnom over 1 year ago
Buddhacat

They wear out and need to be replaced every so often. Can't be fixed. Buy new ones for safety.

You should be able to buy them by the small bag so you can have some on hand.

Thanks SKK and Maedl. Sadly they are quite new, used only a few times. Just thought I got a bad batch. Cheers!

I had just assumed you had had them for a long time. The rubber should be good for at least several years. What were you storing in the jars? Perhaps the gaskets came in contact with a substance--perhaps alcohol?-- that caused the rubber to deteriorate.

The last thing I used them for was to keep a small quantity of Torrisi's spicy sauce in the fridge. No alcohol in their lives yet. Could oil from the sauce cause this to happen? So strange!

Baci1

Yes, oil can warp the rubber seal, as well as any acid in the sauce.

Thank you, HalfPint! Will keep the oil and acid away from the selas from now on! Cheers.

Unless I am preserving in the Wecks, I don't use the rubber seals (and then only once). The glass lids w/clamps work fine unless you are preserving, but for storage are fine. . You can buy reusable lids directly from Weck in the US that last a long time - and come in sizes that fit each of their jars.

Much obliged!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet