🔔
🔎

Making a Thai curry dish and my palm sugar is hard as a rock.

Microwaving doesn't help. Do I toss it? Substitute brown sugar or something else?

asked by jacksonholefoodie almost 2 years ago
Bigpan

You recipe probably has some liquid component - maybe melt the amount of sugar you need in that liquid.

Photo_squirrel

yes, that's what i would say, after maybe trying a hammer and a plastic bag. Also google 'softening hard sugar'; couple of good ideas that i used a few yrs ago but just can't remember now,sorry.

Photo_squirrel

forgot to say, palm sugar not essential. white or light brown will do.never a need to 'toss' sugar. google is your frend.

Cathybarrow_allrecipes_%c2%a9_2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

I've used a microplane and grated palm sugar

20090907-jackson-8

I thank you, and my antelope curry thanks you!!

Wholefoods_user_icon

I haven't worked with palm sugar but when my jaggery hardens like that, I heat it in the microwave for short intervals of 15-20 seconds until it softens enough for me to break off a piece.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Whoops! I clicked over from the sidebar and therefore did not read that "microwaving does not help." Sorry!

Img__631-1_(1)

microwave for for 10 to 15 seconds

Me_in_munich_with_fish

We always use a grater (like a standard cheese grater) to shave off manageable pieces of the sugar. Then, we dissolve it in hot liquid of some kind before adding to the dish.