50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

Demerara equivalents in white and light brown sugar

I swear I posted this earlier today, but I don't see it, so here goes again: I'm making a jam later tonight that calls for demerara sugar. I don't have enough on hand and would like to avoid a run to the store. Can I use white granulated sugar or light brown sugar instead and what's the equivalent volume? A couple of sites I've looked at say there's a one-to-one equivalence for white and demerara (turbinado, which I assume is more or less the same), but demerara has larger crystals, so I question whether this is the case. Does anyone know what the equivalence is? Thanks!

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked about 3 years ago
0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you so much, Gourmet Metrics!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you have a scale, you can get weight vs volume equivalents, and take it from there -- for future questions like this. And, depending on what you are making, a precise measurement is not crucial.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

And here they are:

White, demerara, raw and even superfine and baker's can be substituted one for one and converted at 7 ounces per cup. I know that may seem strange, but it works out. There's more space between the larger crystals but fewer of them.

Definitely better to go by weight rather than volume for brown (7 1/2 ounces per cup). Powdered can really trip you up. Do you sift then measure or measure then sift? Or not sift at all? 4 ounces per cup is a good place to start. You can sift it right into your mixing bowl set on top of the scale.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you all for your responses to my question. ChefOno, I've printed yours out to stick in my jam-making notebook - I do prefer to weight ingredients when I can. Oh, and the jam (cranberry-grapefruit with sea salt) turned out fabulous!