🔎

• 14

• 752

A question about a recipe: Leek Risotto

I have a question about the recipe "Leek Risotto" from nicolecooks. Would it be total sacrilege to make this (or any other risotto) with a short grain brown rice?

Food52-01-22-13-7435
Image
ZombieCupcake added about 1 year ago

I love brown rice, sub it for any rice recipe... I got your back :)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Absolutely not! It will make the recipe taste better. The texture will be a bit chewier, but to my mind, that will improve the dish, too! Go for it. ;o)

3-bizcard

I agree with both Zombie Cupcake and Antonia James, I make risotto with Riso Vignola which is similar to arborio rice only it's whole grain brown rice and it's delicious.

I use riso vignola as well, and love it. I takes a bit longer to cook, and requires a bit more stock - probably 4 to 8 ounces more, and perhaps an additional 10 minutes. And leftovers will, as with all risottos, set up quite firm, so be prepared to use additional stock to reheat it. Buon appetito!

ceeteebee added about 1 year ago

Thanks, everyone!

smslaw added about 1 year ago

It'll be fine, but the brown rice will take longer to cook, so plan accordingly.

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added about 1 year ago

And add a little more broth/ liquid than whatever recipe you make-- it'll be delicious!

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

sdebrango makes a VERY important point with Riso Vignola. In my experience, not every brown rice will behave like arborio. I had some pretty sad results with "generic" brands.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Yes, so true; you want a brown rice that sort of looks like arborio -- chubby and short-grained -- which will soften up and provide the starch you need to get a good sauce. ;o)

nancy essig added about 1 year ago

I like to use Barley instead of rice all together

Junechamp

I often make "risotto" with millet. But my Italian purist friends remind me it's not really risotto without the rice. It is, however, really delicious.

nancy essig added about 1 year ago

Photo-1
Meatballs&Milkshakes added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

You could also substitute farro, which is a whole grain similar to brown rice. It's frequently used in Italy in risotto-like preparations, and the translation to English usually calls it farotto.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Great idea, M&M!! ;o)