A question about a recipe: Peggy's Authentic Irish Soda Bread with Raisins

Food52_03-12-13-0608

I have a question about the recipe "Peggy's Authentic Irish Soda Bread with Raisins" from Pegeen. I like the taste of caraway in irish soda bread. How much would I add for a loaf this size?

asked by cookinkaren over 1 year ago
2010-09-15_14.22.07

I usually add between 2 and 3 tablespoons caraway seeds to my soda bread recipe, which uses 5 cups flour. This one has a bit less flour,so why not start with 2 tablespoons and see how you like it. The raisins and caraway seeds are so great together! You'll have a great loaf.

Hi Karen, it's Pegeen, who posted the recipe. For this recipe, if using both raisins and caraway in the same loaf, I'd reduce the raisins to 1 cup or 2/3 cup, and use 1 Tablespoon of caraway seed or less (depending on how much you like caraway). I love this question because it reminded me of my grandmother's answer and so telling of the modesty of the time: you can wear sequins or patent leather, but not both.

Photo_squirrel

unless you are Dorothy, of course! :-}

I too love caraway and would start with 3 Tbsp then adjust after the first go