🔎

• 5

• 565

A question about a recipe: 1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie

I have a question about the recipe "1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie" from amanda. I have a pregnant friend who LOVES (or rather, loved, in her pre-pregnancy days) Brandy Alexanders. Is there any way I could produce a non-alcoholic version of this for her?

1975
Marshmallow26
Image
ZombieCupcake added about 1 year ago

Don't know if this is horrible for me to say but there is less then what is consider a drink per serving (.67 oz). Now I will also say don't know being ignorant to it being a guy and its been almost 4 years since I have had to worry about that.

Marshmallow26
belmontmedina added about 1 year ago

I understand that it is not a lot of alcohol, but it's still more than she wants to consume during her pregnancy. That's why I asked for a non-alcoholic version.

3-bizcard

You could boil the cognac and creme de cacao. That will remove almost all of the alcohol, it's impossible to remove 100% I have heard, but after boiling the liquor and brandy almost all of it will be gone.

3-bizcard

<a href="http://www.chow.com/food-news/54140/does-cooking-alcohol-really-burn-it-all-off/" target="_blank">http://www.chow.com/food-news/54140/does-cooking-alcohol-really-burn-it-all-off/</a> The longer you boil the more alcohol is burned off, but there could still be 5% left which might be troublesome for someone who is pregnant. Cognac is very distinct, it's easy to replicate the cocoa flavor from the creme de cacao but the brandy or cognac is more difficult to replicate, there is rum flavoring but I am not sure if there is a non alcoholic brandy flavoring available.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, you could look around for a non-alcoholic brandy, or instead use some kind of herbal infusion (if you're ok with not replicating the flavor exactly); otherwise I'd ask her if she's ok with going for the burning off the alcohol route.