FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

Indian cookbook recommendation

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an Indian cookbook ( newer, older ,or long out of print) which contains a good number of recipes for Methi? Thank you

asked by Droplet over 1 year ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

We really like 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer, Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuni Devi, How To Cook Indian by Sanjeev Kapoor, and Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni. None of these books have very many recipes for methi (fenugreek), but I'm wondering what kind of fenugreek you're looking to use: the seeds, dried leaves, or fresh leaves? The seeds are very aromatic and somewhat bitter, and the leaves can be used like a fresh herb--we call it "chicken soup seasoning" because it reminds us of that mysterious flavor in so many store-bought chicken soups, although I have no idea if that flavor is actually fenugreek.
In the How To Cook Indian cookbook, there's a recipe for methi with potatoes and one for methi with small Indian eggplants. In Lord Krishna's Cuisine, there's a recipe for Deep-Fried Fenugreek Whole Wheat Bread (methi poori).

Open-uri20130325-24116-1292j4t-0

Hello this is Raghavan the author of 660 Curries - Petitbleu thanks so much for your recommendation. Really appreciate it. That book has over 30+ recipes using fenugreek (seeds and or leaves) - hope this helps. Happy cooking and Curry it up!

Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuni Devi

The_cook

I like Madhur Jaffrey too, just like Pierino. I looked for references to Methi and was unable to find specific recipes. But she does identify the seeds as "yellow squared off seeds are used sparingly as they have a strong, earthy odor. They are used in pickling, curry powders and vegetarian dishes." The reference comes from Indian Cooking, revised, updated, and published by Barron's Educational Series 1995.

Vij's: Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine by Vikram Vij and his wife Meeru Dhalwala has a couple recipes for methi in it, and their follow-up book Vij's At Home also has a few recipes with methi.

Some people use methi seeds in their garam masala. I like to throw kasoori methi in my naan -- it gives it this very fragrant flavor that permeates the bread. Methi seeds are also nice in a tarka to flavor dal.

If you like the flavor of them, feel free to improvise!

Another thing to look for if you want recipes with methi seeds is to look for recipes that call for panch puran (or poran or phoron...) which is a Bengali five-spice mix, of which methi is one spice. From wikipedia: All of the spices in panch phoran are seeds. Typically, panch phoran consists of fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts. Some cooks prefer to use a smaller proportion of fenugreek seeds, which have a mildly bitter taste.

Cakes

The Vegetarian Epicure Volumes I and II both have extensive Indian recipes, and cover the gamut from condiments to entrees to Indian breads. Other cuisines are represented, so it's a great resource for world vegetarian cooking.

Cakes

And look to our experts on Indian Cooking on this site: Paul Joseph and Panfusine come immediately to mind.

Cakes

pauljoseph has over 170 recipes on this site.

The_cook

Thanks Bevin for the reference to these two talented cooks.

The_cook

THANKS BEVI. It is that automatic spell checker that I sometimes forget to fix.

Scan0004

Check food52 -- 3 recipes come up on search (http://food52.com/recipes...), but I know I have seen the leaves 'everywhere' lately, so you're likely to find more.
Question for experienced Indian cooks: can you just throw the leaves in as a garnish, or in a raita, as you would use cilantro?

You can even refer to this website PrestigeSmartChef.com for authentic, user contributed Indian recipes.