🔔
🔎

3-bizcard

I just bought a store brand of unsalted butter to try it, and I found the same thing.I made buttercream and it ended up in the trash, there was too much water in the butter, it broke and I couldn't get it to come together, ended up in the trash, Thats the last time I deviate from the butter I always use. I wish I had an answer, just wanted to commiserate.

All butter you buy at the store has between about 15 and 20% water (80% fat is the legal minimum.) Unsalted supposedly has a bit less water. I wouldn't assume that a store brand has less fat content than a national brand. Almost all have the minimum 80% fat. Higher fat content makes pastry flakier. The difference between 15% water and 20% water can be significant. I'd check with the manufacturer and ask about specific moisture content. Plugra, for example, says it is 82% fat.

The Modernist Cuisine Team

The Modernist Cuisine Team is devoted to the art and science of cooking. Their most recent book, Modernist Cuisine at Home aims to bring the art and science of cooking into home kitchens.

We agree with smslaw's answer here.

Photo_squirrel

slaw, this is v helpful but it doesn't sound like 15% or 20% is a likely scenario here does it? it sounds more lkely to be 18% or 20%,and even then, not as big a deal except in puff dough or pie dough. (Not so important in cakes/breads/cookies)yes?

Photo_squirrel

i think kbc might have had a pc invasion of the little ones?

Wow...did you ask a great question! Have'nt we all suffered from sputtering butter.

Hilary_sp1

smslaw is right--80% butterfat is the minimum required for USDA Grade A butter. If you look on the package, it will say what Grade the butter is. European butter like Plugra will list the USDA Grade and the grade it was given at production in its home country. You are unlikely to find anything lower than Grade A at a traditional grocery store--but if you buy Amish butter, it is ungraded and tends to have more water in it. Likewise, raw butter is not graded and will be less consistent. Small farms will not be subject to the same grading process as a large operation like Kraft or Land O' Lakes, and in some cases are omitted from the USDA grading process altogether because individual states license and monitor small family farms.

Photo_squirrel

slaw et al- plse disregard my response above. i had not yet read the linked article. sorry.