Ikre,Poor Mans Caviar

I live in Israel and there's a commonly available spread called Ikre (pronounced Ikray). It's made from fresh carp eggs. It comes in white and pink (which I think is just from using red onions).
The only recipes I can find online are greek (taramasalata) and use bread or potatoes. I'm looking for a recipe based on a suspension (oil/eggs/lemon) like mayonaise.
It's delicious by the way, and supposed to be healthy too :)
Does anyone know how to make it?

asked by Superyalda over 1 year ago

I make tarama, but have never made this...here's a link to a recipe that I found:
http://yumkosher.com/?p...

Open-uri20140112-8514-uczbt8

Thanks, Pat.
I've added a question there, and yes, this is it :) I'll let you know how it goes but it might not be until September when I buy another carp for gefilte fish :P

Open-uri20140112-8514-uczbt8

Thanks, Noga!
Now I have two methods to try :) I still need to find a way to get the membranes out and drain the eggs. I think I'm going about it all wrong and every time I've tried I just wind up giving it to the street cats.
The link Pat posted looks like a good one too and she explained to me how to get past the egg membrane issue.
I'll try both methods, I like your idea of a mortar and pestle.
Chag Sameach! Happy Passover!

Open-uri20140112-8514-uczbt8

Okay. I finally did it!
I used my food processor with the whipping attachment.
I had about 1.5 cups of carp roe which I whipped on high speed to break it up and catch the membranes.
Then I added one large grated onion.
Juice of one lemon.
About 1 tablespoon of salt
And then I dribbled enough oil in until the whole thing jelled. About 2.5 cups.
It's perfect and I'm so proud of myself :)