🔔
🔎

What's the shelf life on Marsala Wine?

I am making Chicken with Sauteed Pears and Rosemary Sauce (from Epicurious, here: http://www.epicurious.com...) and wondering if I can keep Marsala in my pantry like a vinegar, or if it will spoil after opening?

asked by HelloMyNamesJen over 1 year ago

yes, it will spoil after a few days. Actually, making wine vinegar takes more effort than just leaving the bottle open. You need a "mother" vinegar culture and you need to keep it in a darkish place for many weeks. Maybe you should just drink the wine with dinner...

3-bizcard

Marsala is a fortified wine and I don't believe it will spoil, the taste diminish after a while but you can pretty much keep it indefinitely. I have an opened bottle that I use for cooking and its 6 months old and still good. lloreen is correct if it were vinegar but I assume you are talking about the wine.

Waffle3

Marsala has a high enough alcohol content to remain usable for months. Fortified wines were originally produced for just that reason, to survive long voyages by sea. The wine will slowly lose quality, a process that, like most, can be slowed by refrigeration, although not strictly necessary.

Vinegar can be made using wild yeast but I'm not a fan of relying on chance (especially since chance may provide you with undesirable elements as well). I'd do a little research on the optimal alcohol content for fermentation -- the high level of alcohol that preserves fortified wines is also high enough to kill off the acetobacter bacteria. In other words, some level of dilution would be required.

Farmer's_market

Marsala, like sherry or Madeira, is a good wine to keep on hand for cooking as it has a long shelf life. Also because it's delicious.