🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Any tips for peeling kabocha squash?

Only time I worked with it, almost hurt myself trying to peel the darn thing.

asked by gfbird over 1 year ago
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Yes, kabocha is the worst. My only suggestion is to pop it into the microwave for about 5 minutes, then let it cool. That seems to help a bit. Also, figure out ways to cut on a straight line, down from top to bottom (holding the bottom firmly on a cutting board), as much as possible. And of course I don't need to tell you to sharpen you knife! (Do not bother trying to peel it with a peeler. Even the best peelers are no match for it.) Good luck! ;o)

Baci1

I don't peel kabochas anymore. You don't need to because the skin cooks to tenderness like the flesh of the squash. So leave it on and consume with the rest of the kabocha.

Traditionally Japanese cooks don't peel the skin off of kabocha either. It becomes tender and it's fine to eat. But if you really want to peel it, perhaps you can cut into cubes first then using chef's knife, trim away the skin on cutting board.

Photo_squirrel

So thrilled to see the support for not peeling this great squash. I have found a number of veggies like this-that don't need peeling. Beets and Sunchokes are others i don't peel. (And higher concentration of the nutrition is in a vegetable's skin)

Lulusleep

I do peel it at home. A sharp chef (or similar type) knife works well. I usually cut one side so there is a flat surface to the board. And then I cut off the skin from the top down to the board. Never had a problem with getting the skin off that way.