🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Baked a banana bread last night and added roasted sunflower seeds - This morning cut into the bread saw that the seeds turned green/molded?

asked by CKM over 1 year ago

If they weren't bad to begin with, I highly doubt this is mold.

Waffle3

The combination of temperature, moisture content and timing involved does not suggest mold. I've never had a similar problem with pecans in banana bread. Just saying…

Hilary_sp1

It probably isn't mold. Assuming that you baked the loaf right away and the seeds were fine to begin with, it is likely that the seeds soaked up some of the liquid from the batter, causing them to go green. Did you let the batter rest for a long time before you baked it? If the batter rested with the seeds in it, for a longer period of time, it could be mold.

Flower-bee

Sunflower seeds are very high in copper,so what probably happened it they oxidised in the given PH of the batter. Did you use baking soda or baking powder as your leavener?

I've noticed the same with pumpkin seeds. You're fine.

The_cook

I use sunflower or pumpkin seeds all the time except I'm out of sunflower right now. But I pulled out my bag of pumpkin seeds for examination. In full sunlight they definitely have a green tint. It sounds like more of a food science question as droplet suggests. I agree with the consensus, however, as long as they were good when you added them, they will be good now.