Baked a banana bread last night and added roasted sunflower seeds - This morning cut into the bread saw that the seeds turned green/molded?

asked by CKM almost 2 years ago

If they weren't bad to begin with, I highly doubt this is mold.

Waffle3

The combination of temperature, moisture content and timing involved does not suggest mold. I've never had a similar problem with pecans in banana bread. Just saying…

Hilary_sp1

It probably isn't mold. Assuming that you baked the loaf right away and the seeds were fine to begin with, it is likely that the seeds soaked up some of the liquid from the batter, causing them to go green. Did you let the batter rest for a long time before you baked it? If the batter rested with the seeds in it, for a longer period of time, it could be mold.

Flower-bee

Sunflower seeds are very high in copper,so what probably happened it they oxidised in the given PH of the batter. Did you use baking soda or baking powder as your leavener?

I've noticed the same with pumpkin seeds. You're fine.

The_cook

I use sunflower or pumpkin seeds all the time except I'm out of sunflower right now. But I pulled out my bag of pumpkin seeds for examination. In full sunlight they definitely have a green tint. It sounds like more of a food science question as droplet suggests. I agree with the consensus, however, as long as they were good when you added them, they will be good now.

Image
added about 1 month ago

I made an apple cake for work and used sunflower seeds instead of nuts (serving someone with a nut allergy). Froze the cake and initially it was fine, but now it looks as if I made Spinach Cake. Tastes fine but I can understand why no one is eating it. I think Droplet is correct in calling this a chemical reaction. Creepy, though!

ktr
added about 1 month ago

I remember reading at one time about the chemical reaction that occurs to cause seeds to turn green when baked but I don't remember exactly why it occurs. I can say however that it is perfectly normal and safe to eat.