🔔
🔎

How long to roast a 6 1/2 pound chicken ? At what temp ? how do I get potatoes carrots and onions in pan to cook thru and be yummy

asked by Lu over 1 year ago

In a conventional oven around 425 - 450 I would anticipate 1.5 hours +/- as all ovens are different. I would check on the bird from time to time depending on the oven sometimes the chicken grease can splatter all around, if it does place a piece of foil loosely on top of the bird to deflect the spatter back in to the pan. I cook my birds to an internal temperature of 165 and then I let it rest for 10 minutes before carving. The carrots and potatoes should not take more than 20 minutes in the same oven.

2007-09-11e-s4

I've taken to spatchcocking the bird, cutting the back out and spreading it out flat. Rub the outside with a little canola oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper...maybe a little paprika for color on the breasts and legs. Then stick some butter and herbs under the skin of the breasts and the legs and roast it at 350° for about 2 hours for that weight. Internal temperature should be 165°, and the juices must run clear (check at the thigh/hip joint). If the skin hasn't crisped up, I'll put it under the broiler for a couple minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I do a chicken like this just about every week.

When is your next chicken roast? I'll be there!