🔔
🔎

Hi! How do I do a pie crust with leaf lard?

asked by NancyfromVictoria over 1 year ago
3-bizcard

You can make a pie crust substituting leaf lard for butter or shortening equal ratio's. Do you already have a recipe? I use leaf lard in my pie crusts but I combine with butter. I have used Julia Childs recipe for years and it has never failed me yet. The ratio is to use more butter than lard but I find the resulting crust is flaky and delicious. Here is the recipe in case you need one: http://food52.com/recipes...

3-bizcard

Also, make sure your leaf lard is cold (not frozen) and work fast, the lard tends to soften quickly. I like everything to be cold, I put my flour in the freezer, use ice cold water, cold butter and cold lard.

Waffle3

To be clear, lard may be substituted for shortening in a recipe but it can't always replace butter due to butter's water content. Suzanne is definitely not alone preferring a combination of butter and lard, especially in sweet pies, but also in biscuits and other baked goods.

Junechamp

My Grandmother and aunts used lard exclusively for both biscuits and pie crusts, and they were the best. I usually use a combination, but more lard than butter. When you buy leaf lard from a butcher or farmer, you often have to prep it before you can use it. It has to be melted down (from its original form).

Waffle3

Chef June, what is the rationale behind melting down lard before use?

3-bizcard

Isn't Chef June talking about rendering the lard. Mine comes already rendered. I have heard you can get it like that and render yourself.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can actually use from frozen. As Suzanne said, general pie crust cookery principle being that the colder everything is the better. To work with frozen leaf lard, or shortening, use a box grater and treat it like a block of cheese to break it up over the flour.

3-bizcard

I never thought to grate my lard. Great idea Sarah, I had seen a video about butter but never thought of doing the same to the lard, one of those slap your head, why didn't I think of that before moments. Thank you!

Waffle3

Yes [light bulb finally turns on] thanks Suzanne. Pig fat (leaf or subcutaneous) + rendering = lard. The distinction is important, not just so as not to confuse me, but people sometimes try to cook with raw fat and wonder what went wrong.

You can easily render it yourself, just plan to do it outside (that's a lesson I learned the hard way).

L1020855

What the heck is leaf lard ?

Waffle3

Leaf lard is rendered from the fat surrounding the kidneys, i.e. internal fat as opposed to subcutaneous (belly, back) fat. Due to a higher temperature inside the pig, it's more saturated and therefore harder and more crystalline in texture (which makes it easier to cut into flour). I could only guess as to where it got its name. Anybody know for sure?

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I tried both ways: leaf lard exclusively, and lard combined with butter. In my opinion, for apple pie (and certain kinds of cookies) using only leaf lard gives the perfect result.