A question about a recipe: Kale and Anchovy Salad

Kale

I have a question about the recipe "Kale and Anchovy Salad" from amanda. can't find dinosaur kale. is it worth trying with regular, grocery store kale?

asked by james over 1 year ago
Cakes

I would say yes!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Regular kale can sometimes be tough but seems worth a try.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Yes--you may want to chop it a bit smaller, especially if it's curly kale, since the curls can tickle your throat. But we sub different kinds of kale all the time in our kale salads, since dino kale isn't always available where we live.

I think all kale is good. You may want to trim the tough stems. Usually in grocery stores "dinosoar" kale is called lacinato kale.

Dsc_0048b

If you can find Red Russian, that's quite mild and would work well too!

In addition to lacinato kale, dinosaur kale is also known as Tuscan kale or black kale. Red kale or Siberian kale would also work well as subs.

I'm not sure where you live but stores like Whole Foods, Fairway, and specialty markets carry it under one of the many names others mentioned.

If you use curly kale, I would make sure to give the leaves a healthy coating of dressing and allow them to marinate in it, unlike the way you'd treat typical salad greens. This softens the kale up a bit. If you don't like curly kale, though, don't give up on kale. Many people much prefer the dinosaur variety.

532719_3658538260807_1195156242_32905581_1657496368_n_2

I used regular kale and had excellent results. The keys are removing the thick ribs, chopping small/thin and allowing the dressed kale to rest the full 15-20 minutes. Delicious and I think you will be pleased.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet