A question about a recipe: Sweet Pea and Leek Pancakes

Food52_04-24-12-0399

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet Pea and Leek Pancakes" from Kate @ Scarpetta Dolcetto. Can cheat with a bag of organic frozen peas? (I know... terrible, but these sound so good and it's too early for fresh peas)..

asked by sbf-ct over 1 year ago

I use frozen peas all the time. They are usually a lot more uniform in size than the ones that you shell yourself.

Great... so how much do I use?? The recipe calls for 3/4 pound peas in their pods... translates to how much from the bag? Thank so much!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

The pods weigh surprisingly little. But there may be moisture on the peas that would add a bit. I'd probably start with 3/4 pound minus a couple tablespoons. But I might not add all of them at once. ;o)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

Farmer's_market

What petitbleu said. I think of frozen peas as a 'pantry staple' - always have a bag or 2 in the freezer. Add them to pastas (especially with creamy/cheesy sauces), soups, curries, salads, risottos - and recipes like these pancakes. They also come in handy as very flexible ice bags for minor injuries. (I kid. But not really.)