🔎

A question about a recipe: Sweet Pea and Leek Pancakes

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet Pea and Leek Pancakes" from Kate @ Scarpetta Dolcetto. Can cheat with a bag of organic frozen peas? (I know... terrible, but these sound so good and it's too early for fresh peas)..

Food52_04-24-12-0399
Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Actually, frozen sweet peas are often of a higher quality than "fresh." As fruits and vegetables sit, in transit, and the store, wherever, they begin to convert their natural sugars into starch, making them taste, well, starchy and not as flavorful or succulent. This is more noticeable in some veg than others--sweet peas are one of those veg. Frozen peas are "flash frozen," meaning very rapidly frozen right after being picked. This preserves their sweetness and ensures a higher quality by the time they reach you.
It sounds crazy, but unless you can get extremely fresh green peas, go for frozen!

dymnyno added about 1 year ago

I use frozen peas all the time. They are usually a lot more uniform in size than the ones that you shell yourself.

sbf-ct added about 1 year ago

Great... so how much do I use?? The recipe calls for 3/4 pound peas in their pods... translates to how much from the bag? Thank so much!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

The pods weigh surprisingly little. But there may be moisture on the peas that would add a bit. I'd probably start with 3/4 pound minus a couple tablespoons. But I might not add all of them at once. ;o)

sbf-ct added about 1 year ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

amysarah added about 1 year ago

What petitbleu said. I think of frozen peas as a 'pantry staple' - always have a bag or 2 in the freezer. Add them to pastas (especially with creamy/cheesy sauces), soups, curries, salads, risottos - and recipes like these pancakes. They also come in handy as very flexible ice bags for minor injuries. (I kid. But not really.)