🔎

Tester's notes

It is a shame that we're not seeing tester's notes on CP picks all of a sudden. I would love to know whom to thank for giving something a try and saying nice words about it.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

cynthia, they've been moved. Look down, after the recipe. I think I like them much better up top.

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think to look elsewhere in the recipe. Though I still like it up on top. They make good headnotes for the recipe :)

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

I saw that too and was really sad because those notes have good info that can be extremely helpful to anyone else interested in trying that recipe.

3-bizcard

I am glad to hear that testing notes are there, I was sad not to see them but also prefer them on top.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I agree! If I could only see one or the other of the author's headnotes or the tester's review, I'd want to see the latter. But with the abbreviated format, really, both should be visible. The tester's notes are buried, in the last place where they'll be of any use . . . . which is at the top, where people who have not yet decided whether a recipe interests them can read the review to determine whether even to scroll down to look at the ingredients, instructions, etc. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

P.S. I'd really like to know what the user interface designer/decision makers on the FOOD52 team were thinking when they made this change. ;o)

Voted the Best Answer!

Thank you, friends! I'd never have found the comments buried there. I agree with AntoniaJames that the tester's are of greater value. They are what distinguish Food52 from other cooking sites; they lend any recipe a legitimacy that other sites completely lack. They contribute heavily to one's wish or decision to engage in the experience of preparing a recipe, which makes them a very pertinent cooking issue. Why were they buried?

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

agree with all - i also like them better on the top...

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added about 1 year ago

Agree with you all. For all of the reasons cited here, I prefer the tester's notes above the recipe too.

Image

Another vote for keeping the testers' notes at the top of the recipe. Thanks for bringing this up, Cynthia.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 1 year ago

Count me in for keeping notes at the top. I actually like reading both the tester's notes together with recipe author's headnotes.

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

I completely agree. The testers' notes are easier on the eye directly at the top of the recipe, and is more time-saving for busy cooks.

Me
wssmom added about 1 year ago

Top.

Sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Yes, yes, definitely top. It's extraordinarily confusing to find them hidden at the bottom, if you find them at all.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

I agree. At the top again, please!

darksideofthespoon added about 1 year ago

My vote is with the majority! Top, please!

I thought it was a glitch when I saw them at the bottom...

Spiceroute
Madhuja added about 1 year ago

I want it at the top, too! :)

Scan0004
susan g added about 1 year ago

Community comments (other than testers) also amplify the recipe. Many valuable suggestions, variations and questions turn up there, and some second thoughts or amplifications from the cook. All this input is so helpful!

Oh, Susan, what great thoughts; thank you!

It's always interesting to read how a testing cook has modified the recipe for what she/he had on hand in replacement for something called for. Recipe testing is supposed to follow rigid rules, but life is rarely successfully rigid.

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13
lapadia added about 1 year ago

Oh, I love this Hotline thread, such great feedback!!! I like to see the notes up top, too. :)

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

This seems like a pretty universal wish for the testers' notes to return to the top of the recipe.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

And while we're at it, why the change in the search box from "COOKS" to "USERS"? I like COOKS better! USERS just sounds so wrong!

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

cbc, I wonder if there are actually more "users" than there are cooks. It seems that in recent months many new members have signed up, but they don't have a recipe archive. When there are contests posted here and all you need to do is leave a comment on the post, you can see multitudes of names that one may never see otherwise. I am just guessing, but "user" may be a more representative term for the viewership(??)

dymnyno added about 1 year ago

I actually like the notes on the bottom of the recipe instead of above the headnotes. The reason being that if the recipe is submitted to another contest at some time the headnote and recipe are the focus instead of someone else's opinion even though positive.

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

That's a good point if the cook enters numerous contests. But neither the headnote nor the tester's notes are usually written out in totality. A user needs to click on the "more" link to read the entire headnote or review.

Pegeen added about 1 year ago

I agree with Top vs Bottom - it's helpful to have all my information in one place and not have to go scrolling around. And I appreciate the More/Less function. To the very talented and hard-working Food52'ers... perhaps more UI testing before making site changes? It would probably make your lives easier, when all is said and done!

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

I see your point, Bevi. Maybe there's a better word, though? Members rather than Users? Because you would have had to sign up to be listed there. Or..?

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

I don't know - maybe "viewers"?

Anyone can be a user of anything on any site, but here, to be among Cooks reinforces the notion of the community. Users is bland, generic.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

I agree, Cynthia. What was wrong with Cooks? Users is a bit too IT-ish, I think. I was taken aback by the change, tiny though it is. Again, that menu choice is of Food52 members, cooks of all skill levels -- experienced cooks, fair-to-middling cooks, beginner cooks, and even aspiring cooks.. Cooks. Not users.

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

Good point

It does seem very IT-ish, which may be why it seems so generic to me. Cold, even. Cooks is a warmer term, maybe a group one wants to be part of.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

If Cook was not appropriate, how about Foodie? Anything but User please.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

Hooray! The tester's notes are back at the top of the recipes! Thank you, Food52, for responding to the preferences of your community!

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

Now about that word "Users"...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Seeking to understand before seeking to be understood . . . I'm with you on finding "Users" to be quite sterile, but I could see how people who don't consider themselves cooks (yet) but are interested in the site, learning, maybe becoming cooks eventually, etc. might be put off by "Cooks." "Members" would work for me. We are, a community after all, the individual units of which are, of course, members. It's not as pleasant as "Cooks," but considerably better than "Users." And with all due respect, I would never (ever!) want to be described as a Foodie. ;o)

I'm with AJ on the label "foodie". It's like the sound of fingernails on a blackboard. I'm a "cook". I don't call myself "chef" except on those occasions when I actually am cheffing. At least with the term "cook" it's all inclusive. If you don't cook, why are you here? But a "foodie"? Ick!!

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

Foodie?? Oh, no, no, no! :-) But I do like "members" because, as I think I mentioned above, one does have to be a Food52 member to be on that list.

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added about 1 year ago

Yes to "Top" and No to "Users". But the new recipe collection for sorting saved recipes is FANTASTIC!

Image

Please, not "foodie." Bring back Cooks! Or if that's not all-inclusive enough, I like Members, too.